Good nutrition is vital for ensuring the optimal health throughout our lives and especially for our older adults. We must maintain a sound diet based on individual needs and preferences.
Care XY staff works with an older adult and/or their family members to establish a proper diet. The staff considers:
- Food Preferences – know the likes and dislikes of the person.
- Meal Patterns – know when main meal and lighter meals and snacks are usually eaten.
- Variety – select different foods within each food group every day for variety in flavors, textures, colors and shapes.
- Moderation – use fats, oils, and sweets sparingly.
- Balance – choose foods from each of the groups according to the requirements of the Pyramid.
- Fluids – meet the needs for adequate fluid intake
Meal Preparation also includes:
- Preparing Shopping List
- Selecting of Smart Food Choices
- Food Safety – Checking food labels for expired food
- Serving the Food